Thursday, January 18, 2007,9:12 AM
Beauty and the Geek
So as strange as it seems, I'm hooked on the reality show Beauty and the Geek. The premise is that a socially awkward geeky guy is paired up with a beautiful and usually dumb girl. They are supposed to do challenges outside of their comfort zones and learn how to appreciate each other. Each week one couple is forced to leave the house and the winners get money at the end. Read more here.

So the show is of course meant to play up stereotypes and all that, but this season has been really bad for that. I know we see whatever elements the producers actually want to bring out, but I continue to be amazed at how awful the girls are. I have no problem understanding that some people are well, not smart, and that a lot of women think their only asset is their sexuality - it's sad, but expected. I just get frustrated watching how self centered and condescending the girls are. Besides forming cliques where the ditzy blonds got all the brunettes kicked out of the house, they obviously aren't trying to learn stuff from the guys. The guys seem very open to accepting everyone and learning to see the world in a new light. The girls seem to think that they are there to bless the guys with their presence and do whatever they can to change them without being tainted by their geekiness. (reminds me a bit too much of how christians view evangelism...). The guys are friends with everyone and stress that "geek" and "beauty" are just social constructs that don't define the real person you are.

So while I fully realize that if I were on the show I would be cast as a geek (although I don't see the geek girl and the hot guy scenerio ever happening... a few too many other issues come into play with that), I just wish that stuff like this served more to broaden perspectives rather than enforce negative stereotypes. But its just a TV show right...?
Technorati Tags:

Labels: ,

 
posted by Julie at 9:12 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 1/18/2007 08:09:00 PM, Blogger Jackie

    Curious ... what "other issues" are you referring to in your hypothetical hot guy + geeky girl scenario?

     
  • At 1/18/2007 10:58:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Welcome Helena - thanks for posting! I think girls are lacking in good models to follow, but thankfully there are a lot more better examples in books than TV, which works for me.

    Jackie - as for the "other issues." I know this is me stereotyping, but I would truly be afraid that the guys would show interest in the girls in the hope of getting some sexual favor and the girls so desperate for the sort of attention society (and often the church) tells them they must have, would give in and be emotionally burned. Plus its easier to make fun of geeky guys who take pride in being geeky than geeky girls who often have serious self image issues (once again because they do not meet society's demands for what is considered beautiful). And probably the real reason it will never happen - girls in bikinis will outsell hot guys any day.

     
--------------