Tuesday, January 16, 2007,4:20 PM
Pantry Challenge 2007
So Will Samson has challenged the blogging world to the Pantry Challenge. What is this you might ask? Well the idea is that as the richest people in the world (we blog, we have computers, we have pantries) one of the signs of our wealth is the extra food we have in the house. The challenge is - how long can your family eat from the food in our house without going to grocery store?

Here are the rules:

*The contest begins with breakfast tomorrow, Wednesday, 17 January. If you came
here late, bummer.
*You are allowed to buy staples, which for this contest we will say are:
1.Milk/Soy Milk
2.Eggs
3.Butter/Margarine/Vegan Butter
4.Any food that is part of a prescribed health regimen
*Other than that, everything you serve should come from your pantry, refrigerator
or freezer.
*You need to record your experience, including the meals you were able to make.
If you are a blogger you need to blog about it.
*The contest ends when the last person playing buys something not on the list.

So I'm intrigued. I want to play. And if you've been to my house recently, you know I need to play. I'll give it a go, and blog about it here. I have no clue how long this will last, but it will be fun to see what I can come up with.

But I have to admit to not fully playing by the rules (does that automatically disqualify me?).

- I will buy food for Emma's birthday party this weekend. I already sent out the invites for dinner and cake...
- I will buy stuff for church (creamer, communion elements)
- I will go out to eat when needed - with the church group, when I'm out of town...

We'll see out it goes. See how quickly I fail or how interesting it gets. Anyone want to play?
Technorati Tags: ,

Labels: ,

 
posted by Julie at 4:20 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 1/17/2007 01:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi,
    I followed your link here, again, from Jesus Creed. I would love to take the challenge another time. But, tomorrow I have surgery. It's a wonderful idea, though. I will take the challenge at another time...Now, for ordering that book that Scot McKnight recommended....
    My $.02

     
  • At 1/17/2007 06:26:00 PM, Blogger Jen

    This will be easy for me. I have enough food to last until fall for sure (good thing I'm not sick of the soup yet) By the way, do you and Mike want a bag to try?

     
  • At 1/18/2007 03:07:00 PM, Blogger Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D

    Well, Julie, I found out about this after lunch yesterday, so I have done a whopping 3 meals. Biscuits and gravy last night (not bad for a first try), and breakfast was left over biscuits. Lunch, was, er, biscuits- yeah, I see a trend, but they're good- any dried cherries and golden raisins.
    I'm not sure how long I will do it, but it's interesting to see. I bet I have a month of food between the fridge, pantry and freezer. And, if you forgive fresh milk and eggs, then it's almost limitless. I have a thing at church on Sat, so I'll be eating their boxed lunch. But, it's an interesting experiment. :)
    Dana

     
--------------