Friday, December 29, 2006,6:59 PM
Tag, I'm It
So I've been tagged - (thank you Rick). The game this time is if you’re tagged, you are to share five things others may not know about you. I'm assuming "others" excludes close family and friends - or else I have nothing to talk about. So here goes.

1. Let's start easy. For those of you who really don't know me - to whom I am just an internet personality - lets start with physical oddities. I'm tall - 6'1" to be exact. I have a metal rod and 6 screws in my back from scoliosis surgery in high school. And I am missing my left arm below the elbow (hence my blog title). Since the missing arm is how I am often remembered by acquaintances and people I minister to but don't know personally its been very odd making friends online who don't know that about me, so I thought I'd share.

2. I'm generally a very introverted person. (INFP on Myers-Briggs). I'm uneasy meeting new people, I like to hide in the kitchen during parties, and I prefer not to impose myself on others or offend people with my opinions when we are face to face. But I have noticed all of that changing recently. The internet gives me an outlet to have a voice and a more dynamic personality. That and the necessity of extroversion in ministry have forced me to open up and change. Or perhaps as was recently suggested to me, I am finally becoming who I really am instead of hiding behind who I thought I was supposed to be.

3. I am a huge Star Wars nerd. I grew up watching the movies repeatedly, playing with the action figures, and creating new adventures in the SW universe. I knew I was going to grow up and marry Luke Skywalker (maybe that's why I chose MaraJade as my screenname in a lot of forums, living out my dreams through her??). My biggest disappointment as a child was discovering that 1. Star Wars wasn't real and 2. because it wasn't real, I could never get a prosthetic limb like Luke Skywalker's (I think I was 5 or 6 at the time). But I'm still a huge fan. I read all the novels, my Christmas tree is covered in SW ornaments, we have a SW poster in our family room, and often discuss the philosophical and religious implications of the Jedi system.

4.My top three completely selfish and indulgent dreams currently are to -
1. Visit Greece and stay in some villa with breathtaking views.
2. Eat at some exquisite gourmet restaurant without having to think about the cost.
3. See U2 live in concert.

5. Even though I am generally a pacifist I am drawn to violent things. We collect swords. I love Lord of the Rings and other fantasy related war movies and books. I like reading murder mystery novels. I watch all those crime dramas on TV. Its weird. Perhaps its a justice thing - all of those things paint the world in black and white which is attractive although not realistic. Real life is complicated, so I guess I turn to those other things for my easy answer fix.


Now I get to tag 5 other people. So, Mike, Karen, Jemila, Jen, and Char - you're it.

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 6:59 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 1/02/2007 09:22:00 AM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    Julie, how are you so prolific in your writing with one hand and a toddler? Very impressive.

    It's interesting, most of the other things you've mentioned I think I more or less picked up informally from your blog...amazing how so much CAN come through online. Though I wonder about people's nonverbals...those little quirks of communication and reaction...

     
  • At 1/10/2007 07:08:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

    Are you a fan of science fiction in general?

    You might really like some of Joss Whedon's tv shows: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, or Firefly. (forgive me if I've mentioned it to you before - I'm a bit of a Whedon addict. ;) )

     
  • At 1/10/2007 07:13:00 PM, Blogger Lydia

    Even though I am generally a pacifist I am drawn to violent things

    I'm the same way. Haven't figured out why, really, although I suspect it has something to do with good storytelling.

    I'm a sucker for great stories of any genre. Some storytellers use a lot of violence, which would turn me off from their work if they weren't so gifted.

     
--------------