Monday, January 15, 2007,10:27 PM
Feminism = Liberal = Satan???
So I was surfing Amazon following links from my LibraryThing Feminist SF group and somehow came across this book. Evangelical Feminism: A New Path to Liberalism? by Wayne Grudem. I'm sure (or at least I hope) Grudem gives thought out arguments about why he believes egalitarianism is wrong (I doubt I will ever know since I don't plan on reading his book, I gave up on him and Crossway a long time ago), but the whole title made me laugh. I kinda expected more from him. The scare tactic of equating two fearmongering words for evangelicals (feminism and liberal) is just too much. But of course it also makes use of the trendy media usage of the question mark. As Jon Stewart so aptly pointed out, anyone can make any sort of defaming claim as long as its followed by a question mark. But as a liberal and feminist (and post-evangelical) I guess I'm the evil they are warning against. I've already taken that path, so how is it possible to be "led astray" again? Anyway, I was amused briefly and I thought I'd share.

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 10:27 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 1/16/2007 08:04:00 AM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    You know, I certainly see how in many expressions liberalism results in lukewarm faith. But that's no reason to hide behind artificial constructions as though they were the theological fortresses of God. If God can't handle questions -- and ultimately whatever new layers of truth the questions uncover -- then God isn't God. Um, that would make God an IDOL! And I am a true believer in G-d who is beyond and within everything. "I am that I am" is her name...isn't it? (like the question mark?:)

     
  • At 1/16/2007 03:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I hate ot be the barer (sp?) of bad news, but as far as leading evangelicalism down the path of liberalism feminism is a little late to the party. We have already been infected with self-centerism, greedism, self-reliancism, and judgmentalism. Add to the mix a health dose of biblical ignorance and laziness. There you have it.

    Oh my again, well sorry.
    Oh my that sounds cranky, well I am cranky today. Mr. Grudem, whom I do not know or have ready sould like he is full of corn chips.

     
  • At 1/16/2007 04:46:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Kent - too funny and too true

    Jemila - perfect use of the question mark ;)

     
--------------