Friday, January 12, 2007,11:30 AM
Julie the Cook
Time for a silly and random brag.

So this past summer I started entering recipe contests mostly as a way to make myself come up with new and creative meals. It's kinda silly but fun at the same time. There are all sorts of contest - themed ones, brand named ones, and the biggies (Southern Living, Pilsbury, National Chicken, and Build a Burger). I enter, if I win- great; if not, I have a new recipe.

Well I finally won one. I am an Honor Roll winner (3rd place) in the February Better Homes and Gardens Tacos with a Twist contest. Not only is my name in the newest issue, they sent me a framed certificate, printed copies of my recipe that fit in the BHG cookbook, and (best of all) a check. The certificate is a tad over the top, but it was all fun anyway. The funniest part is that when I made this recipe Mike told me that it was one I really didn't need to make again. Hmm... So if you really care - here is my 3rd place winning recipe for -

Grilled Tuscan Chicken Tacos

2 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1 8-oz. pkg. sliced fresh button mushrooms
1 14 -oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 Tbsp snipped dried tomatoes
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
3-4 Tbsp bottled Caesar salad dressing
8 8-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. For a charcoal grill, place chicken on the rack on an uncovered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill to medium; adjust for direct cooking. Place chicken on grill rack directly over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Cut chicken into thin strips; cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook mushrooms, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Carefully add wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.

To serve, spread salad dressing over one-half of each flour tortilla. Top with chicken strips and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Fold unfilled half over filling. Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy!

Labels: ,

 
posted by Julie at 11:30 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 1/15/2007 12:28:00 PM, Blogger Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D

    How fun it that! Julie, I think that's totally fun. And, how neat to have a copy of your recipe all printed up for your cookbook. It's like the kid said in the Shake-N-Bake commercial, "I made that!"

     
--------------