Tuesday, October 23, 2007,3:55 PM
My Mere Existence
So I seem to be inadvertently pissing people off with whatever I say recently. I basically can't seem to do anything right. apparently just the mere fact of my existence is enough to anger others. To take a silly example that can't get me in more trouble since they hate me so much anyway - one of those "we think people in the emerging church are poopy-heads" sites came across my summary of the Emerging Women lunch at the Emergent Gathering. You know the lunch where we all sat around and told our stories. Really evil stuff there. Well this anti-emergent site wrote, "Here is just another reason to stay away from the emergent church.It is one sad day when "Christian" women and "men who support ‘emerging Christian women’" start sitting around re-imagining God in their own image so easily." What exactly is their issue this time? That we host mixed gender lunches? That men would ever condescend to support women? That we talk about God? I don't get it. The best part were the labels used for their post which included - abomination, feminism in the church, false teachings, and heresy. Wow I always wanted to be classified as an abomination.

Then my lunch today seemed to solidify the fact that I offend people with my mere existence. Emma and I were out running errands and stopped to have lunch at her favorite place Noodles & Company (this was mommy's apology for making her get a shot at the doctors). The lunch started out amusing. Emma had just had a haircut at one of those places that make it all cute afterwards. So with pigtails with ribbons we went into lunch. Usually Emma gets mistaken for a boy (even when she is wearing pink clothing with hearts all over it), but today nearly everyone in the restaurant commented on what a cute little girl I had. I was thoroughly amused by how the girly pigtails (as opposed to her usually disheveled moptop) changed people's perception of her. But anyway, back to the main story...

I ordered my food and went and sat down. The restaurant was crowded and so I was glad to find a table. Shortly after I arrived a businessman and businesswomen sat down next to me. The man was very loud in his complaining about having to sit this close to a toddler (apparently he didn't think Emma was cute). I'm sorry but if you don't want to be exposed to kids don't go to fast food places that serve mac n' cheese. I also got to listen to him berate the restaurant for using such an inefficient serving system, make fun of people whose houses he was working on foreclosing, and talk about why he hates Japanese people. The women never said a word, I doubt she could get a word in edgewise. I did my best to ignore his complaining and his death glares at me for having the audacity to have a child and be sitting already at a table near where he wanted to sit and eat.

But speaking of the actual food. I ordered our food and sat waiting for it to arrive. After waiting for awhile I noticed that all the people who came in after me had already been served. I asked the server about that. She checked and told me they had just skipped over my order. She brought out Emma's food and told me mine was still cooking. After a while I see other people getting the same dish I ordered so I decided to ask again. That really pissed the server off. How dare I want to actually get my food. She then walked over to the cook asked him a question, he immediately threw together my food and she shoved it at me. Things were not going well. First people don't want to sit anywhere near me then the restaurant doesn't want to serve me. Great.

So I start eating my lunch. By now Emma is finished and is getting squirmy. I am spending most of my time leaning over to pick up stuff she is dropping on the floor. At this point I am just trying to finish eating so we can leave. This is when the seriously obese women at the table behind me gets up and leans over to tell me that I need to pull my shirt down. It has ridden up and my back is exposed which is offensive she tells me. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the modesty police? I couldn't even respond to her, I just stared at her until she walked away.

I think my mere existence pisses people off. No matter what I say, people get mad. And now apparently just taking up space in this world is an affront to others. Yes, I know this is an overreaction, but there are just days when I am really tired of all this crap.

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 3:55 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


13 Comments:


  • At 10/23/2007 05:15:00 PM, Blogger Makeesha

    you and me both sister. shine on, I'm honored to shine next to you :)

     
  • At 10/23/2007 07:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Well Julie, I must admit that your "mere existence" on Amateur Theology has been a great blessing. It's been really nice having your comments contributing to discussion.

     
  • At 10/23/2007 08:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm with you, sister friend.

     
  • At 10/23/2007 09:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Well, keep existing, if only to get back at the small-minded. ;^)

    I've been badly treated when out in the food court with just me and my kids when they were very young. In the face of mistreatment, once I was aided by an elderly couple and once by a couple of teenage girls (believe it or not). People suck sometimes... thankfully, not always. ;^)

     
  • At 10/23/2007 09:20:00 PM, Blogger glenn

    Julie-

    And I thought that I was having a bad day here and there! I know that I was starting to get testy, but good grief!

    Somehow I think that God can use a gritty toughness mixed with a lot of pouring our heart out to him and amazing grace. It's amazing that we have any sometimes, and even more amazing that he does.

    P.S. You and I both know we can't believe the crap that some people fling our way!

     
  • At 10/23/2007 09:39:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Thanks all.

    And to add an update. Tonight with her hair still in pigtails and ribbons wearing her pink Supergirl sweater Emma was called a little boy. I just really had to laugh.

     
  • At 10/24/2007 07:32:00 AM, Blogger Makeesha

    that's so strange! I've seen Emma in person and I can't imagine mistaking her for a boy. people are weird.

     
  • At 10/24/2007 07:33:00 AM, Blogger Helen

    Hang in there, Julie...if your mere existence annoys people that actually means you have a lot of power :-)

     
  • At 10/24/2007 07:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I hope today is a better day. Sorry about your yesterday. Thanks for your willingness to share and dialogue about your journey.

     
  • At 10/24/2007 08:11:00 AM, Blogger PrincessMax

    Your mere existence makes my world brighter.

    I used to get called a boy all the time when I was Emma's age. Makeesha's right; people are weird.

     
  • At 10/24/2007 10:38:00 AM, Blogger kent

    I hope your experiecne wasn't in Naperville, but if it was it is par for the course. I always amazes when you go into a business and they seem offended that you are there to give them money.

    Don't let the goofies get you down.

     
  • At 10/24/2007 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Benjamin Ady

    damn you have a lot more self control than I do. By the time the modesty police lady started in, I fear I would have been in full blown "gently mock you to your face to see how strongly I can trigger you into further stupidity" mode.

     
  • At 10/26/2007 08:36:00 AM, Blogger Unknown

    i've heard of getting your back up in public but never your back out! well done you :)

    as for the rest of the crappy world, blah, keep existing we need you!

     
--------------