Tuesday, October 16, 2007,9:55 AM
Prejudices, Country Music, and Cat Blogging
No matter how hard I try to be open and tolerant of others I still find myself slipping into believing my silly prejudices. There are just areas in life where I assume the stereotypes and start judging those I don't like or who are different. Now I'm sure there are numerous prejudices that I am unaware of that I will have to confront and get over at some point, but then there are those that I am fully aware of and still have a hard time accepting.

For example. Shortly after we started dating, I discovered that Mike listened to country music. That was nearly a deal breaker for me. Country music?! I honestly couldn't imagine any intellectual person listening to it. I had to get over that and eventually the Shania craze won me over for a brief period (until the post-9/11 let's stick boots up other country's asses songs started dominating the airwaves).

Then there are the issues I have with "Ss." No, not the letter of the alphabet, I'm talking about "S" versus "N" on the Myers-Briggs Personality tests. Sensing verses Intuitive. People who prefer to focus on the basic information they take in instead of preferring to interpret and add meaning to the world they encounter. I always test completely "N" and it has been a long struggle for me to get along with the "S" crowd. We just see the world and interact with it in very different ways. But it's getting better. Really.

But now it's something new that I've discovered I hold deep prejudices against. Cat bloggers. Yes, those people who devote large spaces of their blog to posting picture of cats (their's or other people's). There is a part of me that just wants to brush them aside as "crazy cat ladies" who have migrated to the technological era. But significant numbers of the cat bloggers I encounter are people who I seriously respect. People who are highly intelligent, good writers, and, given the sorts of blogs I read, articulate theologians. But they are cat bloggers on the side. There was actually a period of time when I refused to read a person's blog if I discovered that she cat blogged. I think I am attempting to be more open, but I still harbor negative stereotypes about cat bloggers. So in an effort to confront my fears and prejudices I am going to post a picture of a cat. For one day I will join the official ranks of cat bloggers and move towards shedding my prejudices. So here we go - cat blogging at onehandclapping -



Labels: ,

 
posted by Julie at 9:55 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


12 Comments:


  • At 10/16/2007 11:26:00 AM, Blogger gerbmom

    So, I guess you'll only be my friend on the 70% of the days I am an N??? LOL.
    And, I'm sure glad Cairo isn't a cat.... ;)

     
  • At 10/16/2007 02:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    What about Cat bloggers, who don't like country much, who are really strong Ns???

    Come on! Two out of three can't be bad!

     
  • At 10/16/2007 05:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    LOL ... I didn't even know about cat blogging. What a funny phenom. I abhore country music (it totally would have been a deal breaker with me), but I love bluegrass. And I am so far N, I'm off the charts ... right next to Julie ;-)

     
  • At 10/16/2007 06:20:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Hey, I said I was working on these things right? That has to count for something!

     
  • At 10/16/2007 09:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    That is one cute kitty. If I blogged, I would include some occasional catblogging.

    You might be interested to know that NT Wright is purportedly an N. I belong to the Wrightsaid email group, and a very informal poll taken earlier this year by someone on the list revealed that everyone who divulged their profile was also an N.

    Dana Ames

     
  • At 10/16/2007 10:00:00 PM, Blogger Amy

    Yep, I'm a cat blogger. I will fully own up to it. Mostly because I'm in school to be a vet. technician and overpopulation of pets/spaying and neuturing/responsible ownership is an issue important to me. With that being said, I like guinea pigs more than cats and they are probably my favorite pet--does that freak you out even more!?

    By the way I always test as a "N" on Meyers Briggs and I don't like country music at all.

     
  • At 10/17/2007 07:14:00 AM, Blogger Kathryn

    N - absolutely, right off the scale.
    Country music - no way.
    Cat blogging - well, yes, - though it's one of those things like memes that makes me feel unforgiveably shallow and rather pathetic afterwards.
    I think the idea is that it's your cat, though, Julie - so you may have to move yet further in this process of confronting prejudice before you get to wherever you're heading ;-)

     
  • At 10/17/2007 01:27:00 PM, Blogger Unknown

    so can I expect more cute cat pictures here and maybe an emerging kitty club blog in the near future??? ;)

     
  • At 10/17/2007 07:12:00 PM, Blogger Cindy

    oh.

    I'm a full blown S. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be. It isn't even my preference. I've actually tried to be an N-- it's easiest when I have PMS. But then in reality I just look like an S in hysterics. So I stick with what I'm good at. And I try to avoid hysterics. But at least i never cat blog.

     
  • At 10/17/2007 07:30:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    I am so laughing at the comments here...

    and Paul, I leave it totally up to you to create the Emerging Kitties Club :)

     
  • At 10/17/2007 08:32:00 PM, Blogger Mike Clawson

    "I think the idea is that it's your cat, though, Julie - so you may have to move yet further in this process of confronting prejudice before you get to wherever you're heading ;-)"

    Well that's never going to happen since we're never going to have a cat. Besides the fact that I'm very allergic, cat's are just plain evil. ;-)

     
  • At 10/18/2007 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Tiria the Shadow Princess

    I won't tell about your prejudice if you won't tell about my propensity towards existentialism. But if it is any consolation, my humans HATE country music!!!!

    Tiria
    The Shadow Princess

    P.S. the rev person around here is an "S"

     
--------------