Sunday, October 21, 2007,5:45 PM
In this Week's News
News stories I had to click on -


J.K. Rowling outs Dumbledore as Gay
Interesting. No big surprise. I found this paragraph sad - "But [Rowling] added that not everyone likes her work. Christian groups have alleged the books promote witchcraft. The author said her revelation about Dumbledore would give them one more reason." Once again Christians make the news for our hatred record instead of for our love.

and

Monkeys Kill Delhi Deputy Mayor
"The deputy mayor of the Indian capital Delhi died on Sunday after being attacked by a horde of wild monkeys." WTF? Wild Monkeys? Apparently these terrorizing monkeys are seen as a representation of a god and so cannot be harmed.

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 5:45 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 10/21/2007 09:58:00 PM, Blogger Andrew

    I am not bothered that she made Dumbledore gay so much as I am by the way that it occurred. I could not get "Token" from South Park out of my head. It was almost as if it occurred to her that she had forgotten to put in the "Token" gay character so she said, "Hmmm... well... How bout' we make Dumbledore gay?... yeah... that works". What other characters now need to be modified after the fact? Next we will see updated versions of the books ala Star Wars/Lucas. Perhaps we can send Kyle and Stan to save the original HP manuscripts.

     
  • At 10/21/2007 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    That wasn't an issue for me. I know she had the entire backstories of all the main characters mapped out already (which may be appearing in a HP encyclopedia someday). I am just imagining her responding thinking "but of course he's gay, I've known that all along, why didn't you get it?"

     
  • At 10/24/2007 09:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Alan Jacobs has chimed in with his thoughts on Rowlings' Dumbledore revelation at The American Scene.

    http://theamericanscene.com/2007/10/23/the-gay-headmaster

     
--------------