Friday, May 18, 2007,10:26 AM
Ordinary Attempts to Change the World
So through following some random links, I've discovered some rather fun blogs that are all about changing the world.

green LA girl - the adventures of trying to live justly in LA. I enjoy all the stories of environmentally friendly practices. She reviews companies and coffee shops in her attempts to discover how to exist without harming the world and other people. Its fun to read and a fantastic resource. She does all the research on where to find organic fairly traded items (you can get fairly traded underwear???). Anyway I highly recommend you check it out.

Then I discovered Change Everything a group site for people in Vancouver, Victoria and the Lower Mainland who want to change themselves, their communities or their world. I enjoy reading the blogs about the everyday attempts people are making to try to make this world a better place. My favorite so far is EnviroWoman's Living Plastic Free in 2007 journal. She is chronicling her attempt to bring no new plastic into her life for one year. The writing is witty and I don't think I've enjoyed reading about trash this much ever. (check out her entry about having to give up her love affair with frozen pizza). I'm discovering some random facts as well - did you know that the insides of Pepsi cans are coated with plastic (apparently its so acidic that it would eat through the can otherwise)? It made me realize how just about everything I buy has plastic in it. Not only does that do a lot to hurt the environment (in production as well as landfill junk) but the reports of toxins and carcinogens related to plastics just keep coming in. So I see the rationale behind this project, but the first thing I thought after I really started evaluating my plastic consumption was - "wow, she must not have kids." Everything for kids is made of plastic (is it even possible to find non-plastic sippy cups?). I honestly don't know how anyone with kids could ever do something like this, but I do admire her attempt.

If you can't tell, I like stories. Stories of people out here actually doing stuff to change the world. The more everyday and ordinary, the more helpful I am finding it.

So does anyone else have stories they can share? Everyday ways you (or someone you know) have deliberately changed the way you live in order to make this world a better place?

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 10:26 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


2 Comments:


  • At 5/21/2007 06:04:00 PM, Blogger PrincessMax

    Hi Julie. I don't know if my blog counts but you've just crystallized for me what it is. A story blog.

    I began reading several Christian blogs, including yours, six months ago and have had this weird inferiority complex ever since. They all seem to be commentary and book reviews and presentations of doctrinal clarifications. I think they're great but I have been struggling to figure out how mine can be great, even though I'm not compelled to post about the same things. I don't even identify myself as a follower of Christ in any of the sidebar information.

    But, you seem to be linking to story blogs, which gives me hope that my blog has a place.

    Tonight I'm feeling random. This response might not be totally on-topic. Just wanted to let you know that you helped me out.

    Thanks.

     
  • At 5/21/2007 07:50:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    My blog has been (and still is) many different things. It what I feel like making it at the moment.

     
--------------