Sunday, November 05, 2006,3:52 PM
Weekend thoughts...
So its Sunday afternoon and I am exhausted. I did a craft fair yesterday and preached this morning - it was all fun but I'm tired and a bit brain dead. Which is perhaps why I have a series of mini-rants at the moment.

First Mark Driscoll (who get my vote as my least favorite person in the entire universe) is up to his junk again. This time its his blog post on the whole Ted Haggard scandal and his advice for pastors (here). Not only does he assume all pastors work in megachurches and are CEOs and teachers (as opposed to pastors), his suggestions would completely restrict pastors from loving and serving people. So much for following christ. According to Driscoll if the prostiture who washed Jesus' feet with her hair showed up at his home group, he would ask her to never return (so as to protect himself from temptation). Whatever. Oh - and Driscoll managed to find a way to twist this to blame women as well. Apparently women are the ones at fault for either being too sexy and therefore appealing or letting oneself go and forcing a man to look elsewhere. He therefore uses this as another arguement for why women shouldnt serve in any role whatsoever in churches (apparently now not even as secretaries). Why am I not surprised that a scandal involving a male leader caught with a male prostitute would be used by Driscoll to continue his rhetoric against women...

Then there is stupid political stuff. Election day is only two days away, so political stupidity can be expected. In the continuing sign-wars, since there are laws about removing or burning political signs, Hasterts folks have fallen to placing their signs directing in front of and behind Laesch's signs obstructing one's view of his sign. How freaking childish is that. It's like the kid who jumps to the front of every picture so only he can be seen.

And yesterday I actually had a lady tell me (unsolicited I might add) that she hopes the republicans win because she heard in an email from a friend that al-qaeda wants the democrats to win. Now Ive heard that line given as a joke on The Daily Show - but I didn't think anyone actually believed it. And to believe it because you read it in an email forward!!! This my friends is democracy in action.

And finally to wrap up the rants, I have to mention the most recent church sign at our local Yorkville crummy church sign church. It said something like "be happy the SON is shining." Now yesterday when I drove past it - it was cold, gray, dismal, and spitting rain. The trees are skeletons and the chance of seeing blue sky between now and next May is slim. And right as I drove past it the song "Wonderful" by Everclear came of the radio. Here are the lyrics -
Coz when it gets too sad
I think thoughts that I know are bad
I close my eyes and I count to ten
Hope its over when I open them
I want the things that I had before
Like a Star Wars poster on my bedroom door
I wish I could count to ten
Make everything be wonderful again
I hope my Mom
And I hope my Dad
Would figure out why they get so mad
I hear them scream
I hear them fight
They say bad words that make me wanna cry
I close my eyes when I go to bed
And I dream of angels that make me smile
I feel better when I hear them say everything will be wonderful some day

Chorus
Promises mean everything
When you’re little and the world so big
I just don’t understand
how you can smile with all those tears in your eyes
and tell me everything is wonderful now

Please don’t tell me everything is wonderful now

I go to school and I run and play
I tell the kids that it’s all ok
I laugh a lot so my friends won’t know
When the bell rings that I just don’t wanna go
I go to my room and I close my eyes
I make believe that I have a new life
I don’t believe you when you say
Everything will be wonderful some day

No no no no
I don’t want to hear you tell me everything is wonderful now
No no no no
I don’t want to hear you say that I will understand some day
No no no no
I don’t want to hear you say that you both have grown in a different way
No no no no
I don’t want to meet your friend
And I don’t want to start over again
I just want my life to be the same
Just like it used to be
Some days I hate everything
I hate everything
Everyone and everything

Please don’t tell me everything is wonderful now…
Please don’t tell me everything is wonderful now ..
Please don’t tell me everything is wonderful now ..

I don’t want to hear you tell me everything is wonderful now……

Please don’t tell me everything is wonderful…….


It made me wonder how often as a church (the body of christ) we ignore reality and tell happy lies to make ourselves feel better. Everythings wonderful, be happy the SON is shining. When will we get past the lies and the platitudes and be real. Be real enough to cry, to feel, to admit that there is crap in this world, that its all not okay, and get off our butts and do something about it.

Ah. okay - rants over for the moment (at least the stuff its safe to post online...). Feel free to add on if it would help...

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Julie at 3:52 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


7 Comments:


  • At 11/05/2006 06:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Nice rants. The truth is usually stranger and more appalling than fiction.

    I just wanted to say that even if Driscoll's comment about pastors' wives is controversial and insensitive, he does have some other warnings that should be considered.

    It's not a code for all ministers to follow, but several of his recommendations could be put into practice with a positive effect. I have to admit that he faces a heck of lot more pressure than I do and just about any other blogger out there.

    Besides making some really dumb, insensitive, and (what I consider to be) un-Biblical remarks from time to time, he has not caved in while pastoring a large church. He's not an expert, but he knows a thing or too about the various kinds of temptation that hit pastors.

    OK, so I should also add that I'm typically not a big Driscoll fan. I don't attend his church and am not interested in defending him. I just don't want his helpful comments to be lost.

    By the way, what if you recommended watching the Daily Show to the lady who believed the forwarded message about Democrats? Just a thought. Not a good one. Just a thought.

     
  • At 11/05/2006 09:27:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    Thanks for the response. I truly understand that Driscoll is under a lot of pressure but I dont see that as an excuse for what he says.

    as for the republican lady - she was a customer at my craft fair booth... so I just smiled and didnt say anything... but oh, I wanted to...

     
  • At 11/05/2006 10:53:00 PM, Blogger Nancy

    That article is ridiculous. Driscoll seems to be comparing what Haggart did to a "typical" affair. While he might be correct in examining the system that by its very nature and design seems to put church leaders at risk, there is far more than that going on in this specific situation.

    There is not one of us who isn't flawed and damaged in some way. We ALL sin, so why are we surprised when church leaders sin? And it seems that sexual sin really catches our attention over other "lesser" sins like pride and greed. So many folks out there like to say that "Sin isn't graded". Like hell it isn't!

    I feel compassion for Haggart and his family. While it would be nice if church leaders were somehow "above" their flocks, it ends up that they are only strugglers on the Way like the rest of us. What would it be like if we all were able to just drop the masks, stop hiding and be authentic with one another? And love and encourage one another just as we are. Now THAT would be a church, wouldn't it?

     
  • At 11/06/2006 12:00:00 PM, Blogger gerbmom

    Wow, that Driscoll article made me really angry. And I am already angry enough today to do some major ranting. Instead, I'll just go quietly back to my corner....

     
  • At 11/06/2006 02:57:00 PM, Blogger Wendy

    I understand Ed C.'s point to a certain extent, but when possibly helpful advice is surrounded by insensitive, hurtful--and in some cases downright misogynist--content, it loses its luster. I'm not likely to heed anything Driscoll has to say when he has so thoroughly offended me.

    Other thoughts:

    -Driscoll assumes that every pastor has an assistant who can screen his (I won't bother adding "or her," since Driscoll doesn't admit the possibility of female clergy) calls and e-mails. Hmm. Must be nice to have an assistant on staff.

    -Did Driscoll consider the fact that in having the assistant (who, according to Driscoll, should be a heterosexual male) screen all communication, the pastor is exposing the man to the very temptation he himself is so carefully trying to avoid?

    -I shudder to think what might have happened ten years ago if Driscoll, at the age of twenty-five, had started pastoring as an unmarried man or—-gasp-—had been married to a woman who was NOT beautiful.

    -Something tells me that Haggard’s problems (whatever the full extent of them may be) have nothing to do with his wife “letting herself go” (not that a woman “letting herself go” is any sort of explanation for sexual infidelity anyway). Has the gender of Haggard’s accuser not occurred to Driscoll? (Come to think of it, maybe Driscoll is right. Maybe Haggard's wife REALLY let herself go--to the point where even men were more appealing than she was to a strictly heterosexual Haggard.)

    -I’d like to see what Driscoll would have to say about a female pastor (bear with the doctrinal sinfulness of that thought) who had an affair (heterosexual or otherwise)—-or even what he’d say about a pastor’s WIFE who had an affair. It strikes me that he might not refer to her husband “letting himself go” as a contributing factor.

     
  • At 11/07/2006 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Julie

    what I've found most sad in the whole Driscoll thing is how the guys aren't getting it. A lot of women are outraged and seriously offended (both by his comments about women and his conceptions of pastors) but I finding guys (even those who aren't fans) rushing to his defense and being really confused about what the women are so upset by. They seem to think the hierarchal power structures that place the pastor above the congregants is a good idea. And the guys seem to be jumping at the opprotunity to tell women to not let themselves go and give them oral sex all the time (and letting Driscoll take the heat)... very interesting responses.

     
  • At 11/28/2006 11:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    When you read the Bible, you find that "most" positions of authority are given to men, with the exeption of a few really wonderful and corageous women that stepped up to the plate in their time. God is not a sexist. However, He is a God of order. For some reason that we don't understand, totally, he has given the headship to men. I know this statement could stir up all sorts of emotions, but it's a fact. Women are too emotional for government, they need to submit to their husbands. On the other hand, men are too proud and need to listen to their wives.
    I hope nobody is offended by my thoughts. The Nony Mouse.

     
--------------