Friday, October 27, 2006,2:14 PM
Fall Decorating or Why I'm Wearing Purple on Election Day
So fall is upon us and the leaves are changing. It’s the time of year to bring out the fall decorations. This year that consists of tacky Halloween items and even tackier political signs. So amidst the orange and purple lights, tombstones, spider webs, giant blow-up Winnie-the-Pooh vampires, and fake police tape (imho the CSI affect on what we find really scary) one finds small oceans of political signs proclaiming one name or another.

I find these signs to be annoying and generally unhelpful. They all make use of the red, white, and blue color scheme that tries to appeal to our supposed patriotism – but since everyone’s doing it what does it really matter? Plus it clashes with the fall colors. Out here in the rural areas fully in the republican grip, unless a candidate is republican, you have no idea of their party from their sign. Out here it’s a liability to be democrat or independent, or heaven forbid, Green. I wonder if it different in other areas.

In general, this election is annoying. I know I’m voting for John Laesch against Dennis Hastert, but beyond that it’s a toss up. I don’t like either Topinka or Blagojevich, nor the guy running in the “let’s hate people” Constitution party. I think I might actually be leaning Green for the governor. I don’t vote party lines. As a Christian – neither of the big parties represent the values of Christ’s Kingdom. (check out the great resource Sojourners put out about voting our values.) I’m not red or blue – I’m purple with a touch of green. Which are perfect colors for Halloween. ;)
Technorati Tags:

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 2:14 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 10/27/2006 03:01:00 PM, Blogger Jemila Kwon

    I love the idea of "purple with a touch of green." I've always thought it could be fun to creat a periwinkle party. It's my favorite color, and I'm an independent leaning just a little more blue than red :) And if we add the light of God (yellow) to the blue, we can make GREEN!

    I voted for Bush as a single issue voter (ala abortion) the first time around. Two years ago for halloween I dressed up in a black skirt and leather jacket, with a Bush senior mask and a sign that read: "The sexiest ex-president Bush until Wednesday AM." Sadly, I don't seem to have much of a prophetic gift :(
    This year I have no inspirations...any ideas?

     
--------------