Thursday, October 05, 2006,1:01 PM
I read the news today...
So I just got a call from my mom telling me that one of my closest friends from high school was killed last week when he was hit by a car as he crossed a cross walk. Read about it here He was in grad school at the University of Arizona, and I didn't even know it.

I met Tim Morris in 6th grade after my family moved to Austin. We went to the same church and through jr. high and high school were close friends. By our junior and senior years we would do everything together. We had a lot of interests in common and generally had fun together. We were even each others default friend date to events and dances.

We went to different colleges and a couple years into college Tim "came out of the closet." It really wasn't a surprise to me, but it shocked a lot of our church friends. Perhaps because of those reactions and the stir it caused at our conservative church, Tim distanced himself from us - all of us. The last time I saw him was at my wedding open house nearly 7 years ago. And of all the people I lost touch with from high school, he was the one I always wished I could find again. I wondered if he assumed I condemned him. I wanted to get back in touch, find him, assure him I still wanted to be friends - but as time pasted the weirder it got and I did nothing. I had no clue he was in Arizona. And now he's dead. I wish I had tried to find him, to let him know his choices didn't matter to me - and now its too late. I'm sorry Tim.

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 1:01 PM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 10/06/2006 10:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey,
    I randomly posted something on the ooze (I never read it... I was just frustrated... by conversations I was having with other christians) under the name Hoseawouldcry... and I have to say, I loved you response...

    Like David says, his joy is in the saints in the land... there are very few saints I know who are compassionate for the poor and unseen... it was good to hear from another one of them.

    so... anyways.. .if you and your husband would like to email me about your church... please do. I live in Wheaton, I don't know where yorkville is... but I am sure a church like yours would do well in Wheaton.

    PS: are you guys an acts 29 church?

     
  • At 10/07/2006 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Julie

    Hi

    I enjoyed your post. As you most likely figured you wont get much of a positive response on the Ooze on that issue - sad but true.

    We aren't an Acts 29 church, (we personally aren't Mark Driskoll fans!). Yorkville is about 45 min southwest of Wheaton, just out 88. We came from Wheaton and have a good handful of people coming out from that area each week. Email us or post you email if you want to discuss more. My husband also leads the chicago area emergent cohort that usually meets in the Wheaton area once a month.

     
  • At 10/09/2006 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Mike Clawson

    Hey Michael,

    Julie's husband (and pastor of Via Christus) here. I'd love to email you with more about our church, but I don't have your email address. You can post it here, or you can email me at viachristus@gmail.com. You can also check out our website at viachristus.org.

    Hope to hear from you!

    -Mike Clawson

     
--------------