Friday, September 28, 2007,10:03 AM
My day yesterday...
Yesterday was one of those days.

I found out rather last minute that I had space at a huge local craft fair that I was on the alternate list for. (Yes in my other life I make and sell raggy quilts). So we set up our tent and wares at the Sandwich Fairgrounds and I tried to sell my quilts to the 6000+ people that came through. The day turned instead to a "all things conspire against us" sort of day. To start with from about 6AM to noon it was FREEZING. I was in a skirt, sandals, and short sleeves and was miserable. Then right around noon, the sun came, the temperature rose about 40 degrees and we baked in the sun (while being swarmed by flies). So not what weather.com predicted.

And then I discovered (again) why I don't do rural craft fairs. It is a different world once one leaves the suburbs. The fashions and hairstyles are like a timewarp back to the early 1990s. You meet the fundamentalist Christians too. My partner, who sells handpainted plates with scripture on them, got an earful from a lady who praised her for using the KJV and not The Message. Apparently The Message is evil because "God doesn't paraphrase" and the KJV is like the Holy Spirit and is gentle with our souls. Um, sure, whatever. I just smile and nod. My issue is that the shoppers were more likely to be stay-at-home moms (or grandmas) with generous freetime on their hands (as opposed to the artificially frazzled suburban moms we generally see at these things). That freetime issue means less sales for us. Instead of people coming by our booth and actually say buying one of my quilts, I had a steady stream of women coming by my booth, crowding around my display, and giving each other sewing lessons on how to make that type of quilt. I've taught such classes before (for a fee) and I paid to have a booth at the fair so I could sell my stuff not so people could just copy my ideas. I usually get a handful of people doing that at any show, but at the rural shows it is a steady stream. So while, there is nothing wrong with rural areas or the people who live there, it just really isn't a good market for our stuff. Hence my need to capitalize on the suburban lifestyle (and yes I am fully aware of the irony of that statement).

Anyway, then I was supposed to pack up from the fair and drive out to the up/rooted panel discussion with Spencer Burke, Alan Hirsh and others. It's a good hour and a half drive up to Park Ridge when the traffic is normal. Well traffic was horrible. It took me close to 45 minutes to get from Sandwich to Yorkville - a drive that should take 10-15 minutes tops. There was no way I was making it to up/rooted before the whole thing was nearly over. So I picked Emma up from the babysitters and went home having had a rather frustrating day. Just thought I'd share.

Labels:

 
posted by Julie at 10:03 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


3 Comments:


  • At 9/28/2007 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Livingsword

    Sounds like one of the more sedate KJV only people I have spoken to or have read.

    Before I was a follower of Jesus I read the KJV and just did not get it. It was like reading War and Peace and having to glide past the Russian or French words I didn’t understand.

    Then I found the NIV, read it and understood it, God used it to transform my life.

    No worries I am not a NIV only person :)

    We are very fortunate to have such a wonderful variety of translations and paraphrases in the English language.

    I almost exclusively use The Message on my blogs and I love it. Of course there are times when you have to do some “heavy lifting” and need to use a more literal translation or work off the Biblical languages.

    Of course I may be partial to The Message because Eugene Peterson is from around here.

     
  • At 9/28/2007 12:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    you were missed at the event. it was a bit of a "guy fest" at least in terms of active talkers. traffic is the worst aspect of 21st century mobile life.

     
  • At 9/28/2007 12:58:00 PM, Blogger gerbmom

    Sounds like a nightmare of a day. I'm so sorry. We truly missed you. And I'm sorry you had to come all the way to WC to get Emma. I hope today went better!

     
--------------