Saturday, September 22, 2007,9:06 AM
Pop Culture Interlude 3
So as the Fall TV season gets underway, I thought I would post what pop culture offerings I'm looking forward to. We of course have to wait until February for Lost to return, but Heroes starts on Monday. Then there are the guilty pleasure reality TV shows - Beauty and the Geek (if only to fuel my ire at stereotypes in America), Survivor: China (watching the evangelical gal squirm about the Buddhism should be interesting), and apparently there is a new FoodNetwork show The Next Iron Chef (I'm a fan of all things Iron Chef). I'm sure we will watch a few of the new pilots as well, just to see what the buzz is about (let's just say I am really curious about Bionic Woman). But I'm more excited about upcoming books and movies.

In (fiction) book news -

After nearly a decade the next book in the Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody will finally be released. The Stone Key is scheduled for a Feb. 2008 release although for now that release seems to be limited to Australia (not a huge deal in light of the internet, but the shipping costs are annoying.) If you haven't encountered this widely popular (in Australia) young adult post-apocalyptic fantasy series yet, I highly recommend you give them a try (books 1-3 are available in the USA). Anyway, some of us have been waiting a long time for this one.






As for movies -

Coming out in just a couple of weeks is the film version of The Dark is Rising. I'm curious to see what they do with this. I enjoyed the book, but am not so sure how well it will translate to film.














For as much as I had a love/hate reaction to the book, I'm looking forward to the movie version of The Golden Compass.













A bit further out, but exciting nonetheless is the release of Prince Caspian in May 2008. I can't even count the number of times I have read the Narnia books, so I enjoy seeing these made into (good) movies.













And also coming out in May 2008, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It's Indiana Jones, it's a must see, but honestly what's with the name?


Labels: ,

 
posted by Julie at 9:06 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


1 Comments:


  • At 9/22/2007 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Jen R

    I'm sorry to say that the Dark is Rising adaptation appears to be more of a butchering:

    http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/07/26/172619.php

     
--------------