Monday, July 23, 2007,8:53 AM
The Conference (briefly) and The Book (no spoilers yet)
I am exhausted.

We had a great time at the Midwest Emergent Gathering. At least from a planners perspective everything went smoothly. Since I didn't participate as an attendee, it is hard to say what the feel and effect of the conference was to those really experiencing it. But I had a good time. I got to spend time with people I see maybe once a year and catch up with good conversation. I met new friends and am looking forward to continued dialog with them. But we were busy, very busy. I got just a handful of hours of sleep this past weekend. Mike has posted his summary of the weekend at his blog if you are interested in hearing all about what happened.

But of course tired or not I had to read Harry Potter. I started it at 5PM last night and didn't stop until I was done sometime after 3am. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. It was satisfying in all ways. I think I cried for the last 300 pages or so (kinda hard not to when you read something like this when you are utterly exhausted and worn raw). I'll wait for now to post spoilery type things. But I do have to say that after this concluding book all conservative Christians need to make a huge apology to JK Rowling, lift the bans on the books, and give them a place of honor on the spiritual fiction shelf next to the Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings (where I've kept my set all along...). And although satisfying, it leaves one empty in a way to see the story end. I want to read it all again, to linger in the world a while longer. Maybe I'll read it again once Mike is done (he started it as soon as I finished last night, or early this morning I should say...). At this point I'm just waiting for someone else to finish it so I can discuss it.

So I'm physically and emotionally exhausted. But it was good.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Julie at 8:53 AM ¤ Permalink ¤


9 Comments:


  • At 7/23/2007 09:40:00 AM, Blogger gerbmom

    I'm trying Julie, but I just keep falling asleep -not a reflection on the book or the author, rather I am just sooooooo tired. Plus we had the musical yesterday, tho Carissa and I both took our copies to read while we waited for it to start and at intermission..... :)
    The other thing is I just don't wanna rush - it's the LAST book! OK - back to reading..... ;)

     
  • At 7/23/2007 10:41:00 AM, Blogger Erin

    Sonja finished it right away, too - you can talk to her.

    Unfortunately, I never got hooked. One of these days...

     
  • At 7/23/2007 11:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    That was my assessment exactly ...

    conservative Christians need to stop clucking about the stupid magic and READ the books before they pass judgement. These belong next to Narnia and Middle Earth ... expecially after then end. Rowling knows her theology that's for sure. It was fabulous!

     
  • At 7/23/2007 11:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Not that the magic was stupid. Just that the fear of the magic is ... sorry that wasn't clear. It drives me nuts that people are so afraid of the magic in these books, when there is nothing occultish about them.

     
  • At 7/23/2007 12:18:00 PM, Blogger Erin

    My husband is a clucker.

    I have watched all the movies (that are available on video) myself in order to assess them for my kids and I thought they were great; but my husband trusts Dobson's judgment more than mine. I finally last night convinced him to let our 11 year old watch the movies so we rented Sorcerer's Stone and he loved it.

    I know the movies are a different animal than the books. I haven't read the books - bot because I have been avoiding them but I just haven't - I always have too many books on my reading list. But I think I will take that on soon since everyone seems to love them.

    John Smulo says the magic in these stories is nowhere near pagan or occult reality (not that I thought it was, but knowing that helped my husband), so I don't know why everyone is so worried. I haven't heard of any instances of Christian kids suddenly becoming witches because of Harry Potter.

     
  • At 7/23/2007 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Andrew

    I understand wanting to talk about it. I don't know anyone around me who has read it yet. I was sooo satisfied at the end. I had this fear that, if ended wrongly, it would taint the other books for me (such as Matrix 3).

    The continued message of redemption she wrote about is so powerful. Just amazing.

     
  • At 7/23/2007 04:49:00 PM, Blogger gerbmom

    DONE!!! Did Mike finish? I think we should talk about HP 7 on Thursday instead of Irresistable Revolution..... ;)

     
  • At 7/23/2007 09:06:00 PM, Blogger Julie

    These books are so not occultish - they are more in the realm of myth and allegory. I would recommend these books as having more value for living rightly than almost any other "young adult" books (including so called Christian ones) that I have ever encountered.

    Karen - I highly agree that Thursday should be a discussion on this. Granted there will be a couple of people in the room who still haven't gotten around to reading book 6 who would kill us... Mike's half way through (did I mention he's a slow reader...). It probably doesn't help that I am constantly asking him where he is at!

     
  • At 7/24/2007 06:22:00 AM, Blogger Unknown

    the books never worked for me either, but then again neither did narnia... LOTR is of course totally different :)

    I guess we need to put this into context with our kids, i'd let mine read the books but i'd want to talk with them about what they thought/experienced and relate that to the values of our faith.

    saying that in the UK there has been a massive number of enquiries to various pagan/witch organisations off the back of kids reading harry potter and getting a hunger for his experience/adventure, with magic seen as a means to an end of getting that reality.

    ultimately as i can see the tale is about good vs evil which is pretty universal in its application...

     
--------------